Chaga Candied Pecan Nuts
MAKES: 8-12 servings (around 1/4 cup per serving)
PREP TIME: 25 minutes
READY IN: 2 hours and 30 minutes
USES: Instant Chaga
You're not a health nut until you've snacked on nuts, sprinkled them on smoothies, baked them into cookies, tossed them into salads, and anything else you could think of.
These spiced, candied pecans have the extra goodness of chaga, making them perfect to munch on or give as a gift to the people you care about. You can also apply this recipe to other kinds of nuts.
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 cup cane sugar
1 teaspoon sea salt
1-2 teaspoons Instant Chaga
1 tablespoon cinnamon powder
1 tablespoon ginger powder
1 teaspoon clove powder
4 cups unsalted, unsweetened pecan nuts
1. Create chaga syrup by bringing the water to a simmer and adding your Instant Chaga. Stir well to dissolve it completely and keep it on low heat for 20 minutes. Afterwards, bring it up again to almost a simmer and stir in the sugar until syrupy. Set this aside.
2. Melt the coconut oil in a double boiler. Take 1 1/2 tablespoons from this and set it aside, using the remaining oil to coat the inside of a large crockpot. Pour the pecan nuts into the crockpot.
3. Combine your chaga syrup, coconut oil, cinnamon powder, ginger powder, clove powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a small bowl. Pour this mixture over the nuts and toss to coat everything.
4. Cook the nuts on high heat for 2 hours, stirring them every 15 minutes. Don't cover the crockpot.
5. Take the crockpot off the heat, put the nuts into a bowl, and sprinkle the remaining salt.